Well it has finally come the decision to move and build a new studio. It has been a long wait and a lot water under the bridge, but logistically things finally seem to be coming together. Hopefully. Moving is normally a chaotic experience but throw in packing frames, materials for a studio and artwork, books, prints, work benches full size easels not to mention 30 plus years of archives, memorabilia and all that accumulates from the entire family 3 generations and being the only one left … Well you get the idea. The first mover estimated 13 tons we’ll see what the second mover estimates… That is just scratching the surface. When I started packing up I decided to try to categorize my move because I knew that I couldn’t do it all in a cushy for life container myself.
So boxing by category of what I called sketches and ideas ranging to my most valuable work archives and items. With those pieces that were sketches being shipped and those which I considered my best being those that I would carry in one trip in my jeep.
To organize the pieces and have an inventory I am photoing the piece with my tablet, wrapped it up then put the photo number on the package. Then as I was sorting through the works to ship vs porting myself I would sort the photos into two different folders one by the name of the shipping company the other named jeep. The numbers of the works going via the shipper being put in the shipper folder. Although I wasn’t doing a hi-res photo it would be enough for me to know what the piece was and the size and hence price of the painting. At the other end of the project I simply put the photo in the arrival folder as I unpack. When I am done with unpacking I will know exactly which pieces are damaged or didn’t arrive. Hopefully none but I’m fatalistic when it comes to anyone doing a perfect job these days.